About Our Club

Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 

Our History

 

Pittsfield Rotary Club, now named Suncook Valley Rotary Club was founded under the leadership of G. Harris Graham, who had missed the fellowship of his Rotary Club in Hamden, Connecticut. At the Washington House, its proprietor, Richard Stilson, Edmond Stapleton (Suncook Valley Railroad), Eralsey Ferguson (farmer), Richard Herrick (Public Service Company) and Graham met to get others to join the beginning club.

On January 29, 1947 a group of 26 local businessmen who wanted to serve the community and the world through Rotary fellowship and service met at Pittsfield Rotary's first meeting.

Recognizing the need for fundraising, a Yankee Auction was started by Fred Reed and Courtland Paige. This has evolved into the annual November Penny Sale.

Soon a pond site was transformed into the town swimming pool. Many other projects soon followed, as well as growing support for many volunteer groups in Pittsfield and the surrounding towns. A Hot Air Balloon Rally held the first weekend in August is now the highlight of Pittsfield's summer activities

On January 1st 2014 the Pittsfield Rotary Club officially changed its name to The Sunccok Valley Rotary Club.